The one where I grow a pair and use power tools

Well this weekend was totally not what I thought it would be but in the ends was exactly what it should have been. My husband has put in lots of overtime lately had a long stressed out crazy week, and having lived through a lot of that myself, when it came down to stressing out a lot about driving 6 hours to Edmonton for a great party, where he would not have a costume...we just decided to stay home and relax and put the gas money to good use. I will save my costume for another time. J solidly spent most of his time relaxing and unwinding for the first time in weeks, and I? This weekend I got around to many things I've wanted to for about 6 months now.
Yes...this weekend I became a man. :)
Saturday was a warm up. Since our furnace was replaced (last year...cough) the basement has been in complete disarray from having moved half of it and cramming it ALL into my craft room. Literally. You couldn't even go into the room it was so full of STUFF. So disheartening, but I refused to just move junk around...I wanted to reorganize it all properly and haven't had the time...until now. I spent all saturday attacking that room...and I won. Took a whole carload of cardboard and recyclables in and a carload of old records and clothes to a local charity shop (leftover from my dad). Now, there is still a long way to go to get it more organized but the crap is gone and things are grouped for sorting out in the next few weeks. You can walk around in there. It's a room again. My haven for me is a real room again.
Hooray.

Then sunday I proved that women can use power tools and learn about cars.
We have an odd van - a  Mitsubishi Starwagon Delica L300 we imported from Japan as a camping vehicle and it's my husband's second lover...and I haven't had time or made the effort to learn about it until this weekend. I asked my husband to show me all the important things on the Delica I should know to drive it responsibly. We checked the tranny fluid and it seems nice and red (the sensor has been acting up apparently so we need to replace the sensor), and J showed me how to check the oil and all other fluids (which are all inside the van under the centre console and passenger seat) and where the fuses and jack are.
Then I got my manliness on and got to work. The back area of our basement has a workbench (currently mountained with random tools. ahem.) and is the place where all the crap that was in my craft room came from. I have wanted a storage unit back there for ages and so I measured, planned and schemed and it was off to Home Depot in the van for some lumber. Then I threw on a work jacket, gloves and toque and worked outside with my drill and chop saw and built custom shelves for the back room. They aren't fancy...just functional, strong and exactly what we need. Custom L shape with 4 stacking shelves, exactly the right depth for the rubbermaid bins I will be buying to sort and store all our junk in. J helped me mount them to the wall and secure the cross shelving after supper. We worked together and finished the evening with an ice cold Grolsh feeling very proud of ourselves.
We are the man!

This morning I came in to work out and got to squish into the spin and sculpt class and got a great workout overall. Now, a long day of meetings and bellydance class before I head home to complete some scientific abstracts that I have to submit wednesday morning. I can tell already, it's gonna be a great day!
Have a good one everyone :)

1 comment:

azusmom said...

Wow!!!!
I bow at your (workboot-shod) feet. I feel all proud & important when I manage to refill the wiper fluid...