Booty call

This morning I was up and in for boot camp. The regular girl called in sick and her replacement was amazing. It was different - lots of body weight movements - less tabata insanity, more variation and fluid movement. A good workout. I kind of feel bad for the other instructor - this girl really had it together. I'm hoping they ask her back for other classes...
We are all stocked up with healthy food and I'm ready for a month of healthy living. One thing that I'm realizing is just how much sweetener I eat. Call it a resolution, I'm not sure what to call it, but over the weekend I came to the realization that I am being dishonest with myself, perhaps to my great peril. Not trying to be melodramatic here -I know the health concerns regarding splenda and equal and I've decided (despite a bit of nervousness) that I need to remove them from my life. I have come to rely on them too much and I need to just eat healthy. Occasional intake is not a great concern, but I'm taking it to another level...and I'm uncomfortable with it when I'm honest with myself. Things don't need to be sweet for me to enjoy them, or I should enjoy them less. Plus there is always stevia which I don't know of any health concerns from (although it tastes weird in some things).

Thing is, a close friend of mine has a parent dying of cancer. This has reminded me that if I really am going to do as I claim and be healthy in my everyday living I can't shove chemicals into my body. Why make the effort of eating clean and organic if I'm going to shove numerous teaspoons of chemical into my body every day? Why risk dying of cancer? Why gamble on the potential loss o health and time with my loved ones? I'm not saying never have a diet drink again, but when it's slowly becoming a part of almost all I beverages I drink? Crystal light or putting sweetener in my coffee...multiple times a day? It's just plain unhealthy.
Period.
I know I need to do this. I have to be honest that I am frightened that I will suddenly gain weight back from not using it. But I know I can pay attention to how I eat and drink. I can make the necessary changes. And in the end a pound or two may be better for me than a constant dose of chemicals.
What do you think? Do you use sweeteners? If so, why or why not? I'd love to know your opinions...

1 comment:

azusmom said...

I've also cut out artificial sweeteners. I use stevia (sparingly, as it's pretty potent and, yeah, can have a weird aftertaste sometimes). There are sodas with stevia in them. They take a little getting used to, but their not bad! Again, i try to use them sparingly.
I think we're letting go of this idea that chemical-laden frankenfoods are better for us than what we find in nature.
Which makes me very happy! :)