Day 5: Gong show

In my brilliance I set my alarm last night, but didn't actually turn it ON.
Yeah. Smart.
Luckily I woke up about 10 minutes before I had to leave for work, so after some frantic rushing I didn't miss my bus, although I am not feeling at all fresh or perky or any other adjective I was hoping to apply to my morning. So, needless to say I didn't get to workout this AM, unless you count frantically running for the bus a bit of a workout :). Luckily I keep a stash of soy milk and cereal at work, so I could snarf breakfast once I got here, but jeez...what a way to start a day. I know I was preoccupied with editing my proposal (AGAIN...sigh) and my Mum when I did it. I'm sort of caught up now with my day so it'll go OK from here...I think.

I was talking to my folks last night and my Mum is going into the hospital for a few days starting today so she can undergo observation for her heart. She was having some coughing and weak spells the past few weeks and they want to observe her heart and make sure she's getting what she needs, medication and treatment wise, and that nothing new has developed. My Mum has initial congestive heart failure and has had a heart flutter for many years. She has a valve that doesn't entierly function, so she's been on blood thinners for that too. The last few years she has had to take much greater care of her medication and herself as her heart has really weakened a lot.
I admit I'm a bit freaked. I can't help it. Her Mum (my grandma) started down this slope a few years before she passed away of heart failure..the same kind of thing. It's very possible that my Mum's heart is just starting to wear out like Grandma's did towards the end. I mean, my Mum is 75. Of course, on the other hand, it could just mean she needs her medication adjusted and was doing too much again. My mum doesn't really know the meaning of "slow down" so I can see her fidgeting her way to exhaustion. She just can't do as much as she used to and I know it frustrated her. It took her a while to learn to keep a slower pace.
My Dad didn't sound overly worried, so I'm trying not to be. I know he would have said something if he felt it was serious. At any rate, they are both coming up to visit before Christmas. Dad will help me with the kitchen (and Mum will supervise!) so that will be delayed for about a week. No biggie. My Mom was actually apologising for putting off the visit! Silly woman. I told her to let the doctors take care of her and I'd see her in a week.

I heart my Mum.


Charlotte said...

I'm so sorry your mom has to go to the hospital! But it sounds like she will be well taken care of. I'll keep you and her in my prayers. I can imagine how freaked out you must feel! I heart my mum too:)

Marste said...

I'm sorry to hear that your mom's going into the hospital. Fingers crossed that a simple adjustment in meds will take care of it.