It's the little (odd) things

I am constantly amazed by the things I see in the mornings when I get up to run that I would not ever see otherwise...

This morning, there was mist covering the river and fog everywhere as the sun came up. You couldn't even see the other side of the river! It faded within 15 minutes or so but for the first bit of my run it was foggy from about 2 feet above the ground to about 30 feet in the air. The sunrise was this odd glowey orb in the mist. Down by the river as I ran by there was a beaver - over 3 feet long - looking for fish at the edge of the river. Neato. I've never seen one out in the open like that...usually they're jsut swimming by in the water in teh evenings.

On other days I've seen things like:
-A yard with 50 pink flamingos on the front lawn to celebrate someone's birthday
-The yellow and black checkerboard diamond "road end" sign from the end of a road sitting upright in the middle of the river (??). It is still there, but it's starting to tip over.
-I've heard actors practicing in the big tent by the river for the Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan festival
-I've seen a short little old Austrian man running with his puffy manicured poodle (hee hee)
-I've read love poems and bad puns in chalk on the sidewalk
-I've seen a banner saying "Marry Me Melanie" hanging on the train bridge
-I've run by Canadian Geese sleeping on the river, floating downstream on a river of reflected starry sky - space geese!

So many little things I'd have missed if I was asleep in bed. Gives me reason to keep at it.

This morning was a bit hard - I had to fight off a side stitch, but I did my usual 2 minutes walk 5 minutes run 6 times and had a good breakfast and stretch with situps before riding the bike to work. I'm tired, but happy. Have a good day all...

4 comments:

Missicat said...

I love running in the early morning for all those reasons...you never know what you will see! I run on the Virginia side of the Potomac River, but can see the Maryland and the D.C. shores. Pretty cool!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Same here, I love early mornings--plus there's a peacefulness that really makes it worth getting out first thing... wish i did it more often!

Anonymous said...

and dont you kinda love that you posted this at 820 and youve accomplished so much already?!

Miz.

Penny said...

The early morning is my favourite time of day. Sunsets have their place, but I am a sunrise girl! Have you ever run abroad or by the coast? I love running on holiday - I stick to the gym at home because my city is way too hilly!

My favourite runs were on the beach in Tenerife as the sun came up - absolutely stunning.

Thanks for posting on my blog - I have taken note as I too have an irregular heartbeat and was often in and out of hospital for it when I was younger. I've had no problems since I hit my twenties, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

TA x