Funk Cancer and Week 3

This weekend was a lot of fun. A few of our friends who are promoters, once of whom just lost his mum to (fucking) cancer and who's significant other's mum is also fighting it got together with like-minded peoples and fueled our anger into something good -we threw a big cancer fundraiser party saturday night - Funk Cancer. Despite the stupidly cold weather we've been having (seriously -it's absurd - how many weeks can we be at -45 with the windchill?) we had a decent turnout and it was lots of fun.  It was 80s themed with so much love put into it. It was great to work on building a venue up and be creative with so many people who I'm proud to call my friends and see JJ get to do his thing as only he can. They built and painted giant Nintendo NES dance platforms, put a giant blacklight PAC MAN on the wall, built and painted a giant boom-box stage (complete with a cassette to flip over for each new artist!), giant Light Brites saying Funk Cancer (I made those heheh..), Donkey Kong barrels, a giant Etch a Sketch and great music. There was also a whole lot of many different cool things for the silent auction which raised lotsa cash too - still waiting on the final numbers. I bid on (and think I won) a small painting of one of the Ghostbusters heheheh so I got a little cheesy art for a good cause. I worked with JJ before and at the event to help build custom LED light bits for the stage and the light bars above the platforms and JJ laser mapped the stage elements to make the stage come alive. It looked AMAZING. All the proceeds form the silent auction and all profits went to the Canadian Cancer Society.
Main stage with laser mapping hee hee

NES platform test with discoball before doors opened :)

Since poor JJ was randomly and thoroughly sick, I helped him out as much as I could and we were working on it all weekend and were there all day for setup...then I didn't get home and to sleep after tear down until almost sunrise sunday AM but it man -was SO worth it. Poor JJ was sick a s a dog with a bad cold that snuck up on him on thursday so he was finally able to give in to it and just be sick all sunday. I fed him and made him sleep and he basically slept all day, poor guy. I left him with water and advil and fruit smoothies this am and hope another day of sleep will help him feel better. If not I'll take him to the doc today. His arm has been hurting him a lot too (not sure if it's a sprain or strain, but it's been really sore and achey for about 2 weeks now, so he needs to have it looked at). He leaves for Montreal on friday so I want him to rest up and feel better before he goes. Holidays when you're sick are no fun - and who wants to take the plague with you when you go?
So far I seem to have escaped his cold - I think JJ's mad 5 days work in a row with minimal sleep and lots of company in the house wore him out enough to catch something. I've just shifted into chemo level germophobe mode and although my hands are getting dry form over-washing I'm (so far) still OK. I'm just back at regular workouts again so I don't want to stop and be sick again. This long winter has been brutal for germs - when you're trapped indoors with everyone you get their germs too...Having friends stay with us while they apartment hunt made for enforced visiting too and their son who is 5 was an exhausting never ending ball of energy. I am pleased that they will be here soon (and in their OWN place)...as an introvert having someone in your house all the time is exhausting. I'm actually looking forward to JJ being in Montreal for a week prior to me so I can just have down time.

I finally feel like I"m getting strength back .There are faint muscles on my shoulders again and I feel stronger. Started Week 3 of Ripped in 30 and it was a new hard adventure this AM. Duck walks -oh. my. god. They look so simple...oh no. And all the arm stuff with monkey push-ups and tricep side raises. Oy. I modified the jump switch lunges because my knees cannot deal, but other than that I made it through it all...barely. I'm about 5 Lb down so far and feeling stronger so another week of healthy eating and regular workouts will be good for me I think. Just knowing I'm working at it is enough for me - I feel really good this AM.

But - I'm avoiding getting to work so I should just get to it.
Have a lovely and warm week peoples. Hug the ones you love.
And fuck cancer.

No comments: