overnight oats

I'm slowly moving back to my old healthy eating ways and have walked to work all week, and did some weights as well for my upper body this week. Slow and steady. Last night I set up what used to be one of my staple morning breakfasts to see if I loved it as much as I used to...and, yup. Still do :)
Overnight chai oats are a simple and delicious meal with a fair amount of protein and fibre and are very healthy. It keeps me full all morning too with only natural sugars and no dairy. As a bonus it's portable and doesn't need to be refrigerated, so if you go elsewhere to workout and still want a filling healthy breakfast on the go this is perfect. I took the base recipe from the Oh She Glows food blog and have tried a few different versions of it. I love cooked oatmeal to begin with (it was a staple every day eve during chemo whenever I could), so this is a faster way of getting myself a good breakfast that keeps me full and not needing to snack until lunch.

1/2 c oatmeal, 3/4c almond milk, 1 t vanilla, 1/2 a mushed banana, 1.5 T of chia seeds and a shake or two of cinnamon in a container overnight and in the morning you get a yummy healthy pudding textured breakfast. You can swap out the banana for 1/4 c pumpkin and add some pie spice for pumpkin version, or add some cocoa and a dash of ginger and molasses for a gingersnap version...or leave out the banana and add some stewed fruit or other fruit on top with a splodge of maple syrup. Yum.

I know I'm definitely bringing this back into rotation a few mornings a week.
Nom.

1 comment:

Yum Yucky said...

My little Gracie is a big time oats fan. I bet I can sneak some in. This plan of mine is wonderfully sinister.