Beer and balance

I've been thinking the last few days. I'm trying to get myself back into healthy living and away from holiday munchy slackery of the past bit. Oh I didn't go crazy, but I definitely was indulging more than I should have seeing as I couldn't work out for a chunk of it. I lost some muscle and gained a few, but it was a wakeup call for me to give my head a shake and be more diligent...to choose my indulgences. I need to find balance.

Case in point: I like beer. I really do. I won't have more than one, but I do like a beer or wine with meals if I can swing it...and lately I've swung it a bit more. Last semester I just didn't drink much at all, so it wasn't a problem, but I do love a good ale, and holiday times are prime for me and ale and martinis. (There is a reason I do not have a martini shaker in my house). In meeting with my counsellor I talked about balance and not depriving myself of too much...so I'm trying to figure out how I can have a beer here and there and not screw up my dietary plans too much: and I think, for now, the solution is a beer I saw on Suzi Storms web page - Canadian 67 (I really like her. Normal person who lost weight and lives healthily and still drinks beer. My kinda gal.). I'm not much for light beers (I'm picky) but this is a light beer that tastes nice AND a bottle is 67 calories. That's it. Less than a granola bar. So, I can have a cold one every once in a while and not feel guilty about it. I usually can't have a little of something, so for me this is a compromise. And if I want a nice rich aley beer? Well, I can plan for it and enjoy it. At first I felt silly selecting a beer for it's calories, but I'm beginning to see why a friend of mine who pays great attention to his health only drinks light beer or wine as a rule. Balance. To me, beer is like pie. A treat. And I can't go just having pie 3 or 4 times a week and expect it to not have a caloric effect on me. This is all a part of me trying to settle my life into a "daily" thing...a healthy living and not a diet.
So far so good on this search for balance schtick.
What do you think? Sound sane?

No comments: