Here comes the rain again

We had our 5K Cancer Run for the Cure on sunday morning...in the pouring rain. I was going to run it, but I was on a team with girls from work and some of them couldn't run it (they are in physio and forbidden to even think of it) so we all walked together. All for one and all that. Very wet, but not cold, so we muddled through and squidged our way to the finish line together.
We did well...we raised ~ $4000 together for research and patient support, and had a nice morning. Again -I'm glad to have been involved and know I could help. I did my walk in memory of Shirley...I hope we can help other women have a better chance than her.
A survivor gave a short speech before the walk and it was quite inspiring. You could take the attack of cancer as a life ending crippling thing, but this woman was amazing. Her spirit and attitude were so positive, even after treatment and chemo...the attitude of enjoying every day, and living life freely and without guilt. It is truly an attitude for all of us to keep in our lives, healthy or sick.
And, bonus points for tastiness, I made tomato sauce from scratch (a friend gave me tonnes of tomatoes) and a deeeeeeeelicious pie on sunday. - apple gjetost pie. An experimental pie that is, dare I say, brilliant. This norwegian dessert cheese goes very well with apples. In a pie? Yum. I will be posting photos and recipe in the next day or so on my food blog...should you care for any amazing pie of your own, the recipe will be there.
I must run. Lots to do.
It's *still* raining, but oh well...:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a lot of money raised (and a big commitment doing it in the rain as well)

the fundraiser 5ks as amazing and horribly sad.

all at once.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Bummer about the rain, but congrats for sticking it out for a really good cause. Very nice of you to go with your pals, because it probably would have been much more fun (and less cold & wet) for you to have run ahead on your own.

Hope the weather improves soon!

WeightingGame said...

you raised $4000? That's amazing!! Congrats! Sorry it rained :-(

Anonymous said...

how was your forest run this weekend??