Out of the fog

I've been lazy the last week. Well, I should redifine that...I've been exhausted the past week. All the moving and sorting at work and I get home tired and stiff, wanting only to eat comfort foods, watch some Battlestar Galactica (had to catch up on the last season before it started up on friday - yup. I'm a geek) and go to bead early. My arm still aches off and on too, which is odd.
This weekend, after the Galactica episode (woot) I made a point of catching up on all the housecrap I've ignored. The thing about sorting thru stuff and tossing it all day is when you ge thome the last thing you want to do is tidy. So I puttered about in spurts, cleaning up the house a bit, doing some laundry and generally recovering our home to a livable state. I also made chicken veggie lasagna which was, if I may toot my own horn, brilliant. We did go on a protest walk on saturday to support funding for a local community centre (over 2000 people showed up :) ) but that was all my exercise really...pretty lame.
It is glaringly obvious how much exercise boosts my metabolism when I halt it. Sure I worked hard, but no real cardio last week, and I need it to feel human...I was starting to live in a bit of a fog. Not a lot of energy and just wanting to eat and nap. I honestly had no energy and had to be convinced to go out dancing saturday night...very unusual.
And so, this morning I resolved to have no more of that. I went to bed early to get up for a run. It wasn't perfect, but I didn't want to push too hard today - I wanted to enjoy it, after a week off. So I ran 4 minutes and walked 2 minutes 6 times and stretched out before hitting the shower and having some miniwheats before work. I even payed careful attention to my breathing so that even though the side stitches from before threatened to come, I managed to ward them off with deep rhythmic breathing.
Know what? I feel SO much better. It's like I was sick or something. I'm alert and awake and ready for the last of the freaking boxes here at work today. And it's getting better, as now that I'm starting my run training for my fun run in June I have a goal. I must run at least 3 times a week and hope to get up to the 10K pace by then so I can run my first ever 10K....here we go!

1 comment:

Scrumpy said...

Sounds like you are back on track after a much needed rest. Good for you!