Dear ovaries - you had one job. We talked about this. Chill out.

It's been 5 years since I finished cancer treatment and rang the bell. I can be considered a survivor now officially. I could be in a bit better shape and have put on a few pounds since I can't exercise while I am currently allergic to trees pollinating and can only breathe out of one nostril (oh joy), but hey but I am still here and am very healthy. I can run. I can dance. I have rebuilt my life into something I am rather happy with.

Girly possibly TMI alert!
Yesterday my body reminded me about my life and how things always change and that I need to be vigilant about my health. I am annoyed to say that for the first time in over 6 years I had a light period and some spotting. It's odd - I am supposed to be in chemically induced menopause but there was always a slight chance things could restart again. It's been long enough I figured I was done and I take tamoxifen daily to try and prevent it. Apparently my body has other ideas. I was enjoying this female holiday as one of the only perks of treatment and am rather annoyed to be honest.
I am trying not to worry, as it also means a bunch of tests to make sure this is just "normal...ish" so I'm scheduled for a bunch of scans and bloodwork and smears and pokes. I am also finally in to see a genetic counsellor for testing for mutations a mere 4 years after I asked for the meeting...sheesh. I am hoping all is normal and this is temporary....although that would mean I get to go through menopause AGAIN, and deal with all this business again or possible (ugh) have another surgery to remove some inner girly bits which really...I mean...what the f*ck? My tubes are gone and I'm effectively sterile anyways so what's up ovaries? Work with me here.

Ah - just needed to rant so I don't worry too much. I've talked about it with JJ and he's trying to be supportive and not worry too much either. He's been really busy with work lately so I don't see him much at all so I've spent a lot of time in my head, but he's there when I need him - love that man. I really am doing well other than the allergy things. Feeling a bit jiggly as summer comes and I haven't been working out much, but I am happy and healthy and things will be what they will. I just have to wait and see and try not to bleed all over things until I get this figured out....

Have a great day my good peeps. Be excellent to each other. :)

No comments: