Baby its Cold Outside

We're in the middle of  a hellish cold snap at the moment. It's hit -50C with the windchill a few times and at this very moment it's a balmy -41 C with the wind (-31 without). Needless to say since the mercury has dropped this low I've resorted to the bus in the morning. I hate to do it but it's dangerously cold out right now and I couldn't walk 45 minutes in this safely. It should break by the end of the month (oh please) and then things will get slorshy but much more reasonable. I've got an alpaca scarf which is lovely and soft and warm on my face and I've been keeping warm. I don't have to go anywhere this weekend except to the fabric store and to visit my adopted gramma Stella in the hospital (she took a bad fall, poor thing). I'll happily stay in where it's warm and craft away.

After a frustrating time finding something dressy that fits right to go out at the end of January I've gotten back to more intense morning regular workouts again. Part of that is going to bed on time - boring, but necessary. Proud to say that all week I've gotten up to do week 1 of my 30 day shred dvd and I haven't died yet so the yoga and swimming I've been doing when I can at work lately has definitely helped. This week I'm covering for someone at work so I've only been able to get away for one swim and might make yoga today at lunch (I hope I hope), but I have been good at workouts all 5 mornings this week. Yay me. This morning I almost slept in, but I still got up and I'm glad I did. Happy exercise endorphins really make my day better. It also sets me up to be diligent with my eating as well when I start my day off right. I feel a bit stronger already.

I need to find some healthy soup recipes. At a friend's suggestion I picked up a thermos and have used it to keep hot lovely soup for my lunches lately and it's awesome - even has a little spoon with it. Our lunch room microwaves are gross so this means I can eat my hot soup at my desk. I like it. I'd like to make big batches of soup like I used to over the weekend. Any recipes you like?

Monday is a holiday here - I totally forgot, but that's nice to have a break. JJ works all weekend, so at least I'll have monday off with him. I was supposed to go with him to a gig in another city saturday night, but a friend of his who is a lot more tech savvy is free to go as his legit helper so I'll be here instead. I am sad to miss the event, but I could use the down time to do some chores and get crafty.

My girlfriends and I are getting ready for the Calgary Comic Expo at the end of April so I have some sewing to do! This year I plan to be Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill in Kemui Senketsu (untransformed cuz I have no desire to be mostly nekkid) on one day and all us girls are going as some Ghostbusters on another one.
Ryuko Matoi in Senketsu

Yep. Possibly zombie ghostbusters...we shall see what our salvaged work coveralls look like first. Heheh. I love having friends as nerdy as I am. We all bought the proton packs that light up and make noise after halloween when they were on sale super cheap so even my friend Lisa who never dresses up  will be dressed up at the Con. They are tweedley cool :) I've got my Ryuko wig on order and am heading to the fabric store for some navy fabric to make Senketsu tomorrow afternoon...It should be a pretty simple comfy costume. Any costume where you wear running shoes is OK by me :)

BUT...I should get to the lab. Stay warm.
Later taters.

No comments: